Monday 20 December 2010

Starting Out

I started off with pretty modest equipment, before that I was borrowing from college and experimenting with some film from my recently inherited film equipment from my Grandpa. It was January 2007 when I made the step from lending and borrowing to getting a DSLR, I did a fair bit of research and used the knowledge I had already gained, I knew I wanted a Canon, I don’t why why it, it was a personal preference thing, Nikon didn’t feel right and back then the other companies were not exactly credible and just breaking the DSLR market. I also didn’t want to go entry level DSLR and out grow it straight away, but I also didn’t want to be a fool and go pro straight away and risk under using a vast piece of technology. So I went mid range, The model at the time was the EOS 30D, I did think about getting it’s predecessor the 20D but seen as it was a special purchase I thought i’ll go all the way, it came with a standard 18-55mm lens, it was so restricting but I was pretty poor after my purchase so I had to save for a better one. Plus it let me doing everything physically possible with it and out grow it, instead of just getting rid of it without even trying out it’s potential. I also picked up a speedlite 430ex flashgun and a standard 2GB card.

I was pretty happy and soon came across problems without a shutter release, so I bought one and again the options increased. After shooting 30 second photos for a while which was quite restricting exposure and light wise having the ability to extend that was just a breath of fresh air. I could increase my star trails, do more advanced lighting and not have to run through abandoned places to light things as quickly as possible.

I did have to use my lens fund to invest in a mac though, due to a PC crash and a loss of 10,000 images which was quite soul destroying, I haven’t had a problem with that mac in 6 years so, lets hope it keeps that way.

After much more saving I was finally able to afford a new lens, it had to be a wide angle and I had my eye on it for ages. Canon 10-22mm, the widest I could go on a cropped sensor, it was spectacular, going from 18mm to 10mm was unreal, I could get closer, lower and fir more in the frame, it was the breakthrough I had been waiting for.

My photos instantly got better, and I upped my game significantly.

After another short while my flashgun exploded one night, luckily I had insurance on it and got a nice sum for it’s replacement, I wen’t further up market to the 580ex, which was so much better then the previous, more settings better light control.

A few years gone by using the same equipment but improving my skills and techniques the equipment started to get a bit dated, especially with the shutter life on my 30D, I think the life expectancy was something like 30,000 and I had surpassed that by a lot. So it was saving time again, I knew what I wanted and it had only just came out, but quite a giant compared to it’s predecessor, by this time I think they were releasing the 50D but I had no interest in that. I wanted full frame, I wanted L glass, I wanted a better way of living. So I set my sights on the 5Dmkii with a 17-40mm wide angle and the 15mm fisheye. It was going to be a mammoth of a task and It wasn’t until 2010 that I completed the task spending well over £3,000 on upgrading my entire kit, including new, lenses, batteries, battery grip and because of the file size a few large compact flashes. I also treated myself to a new tripod as I didn’t want £3,000 worth of gear sat on a cheap tripod that was getting a bit old. I was finally home so to speak, I felt like God with the whole in my hands, I know that is a large statement to make but this camera gave me power and enabled me to do things that I could never do with my old camera. As for the old 30D, Selling it would never enter my mind, it has taken pride of place and the front of my collection, retired as a memory of what made me who I am.I was pretty happy and soon came across problems without a shutter release, so I bought one and again the options increased.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers